Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blame Canada

Because I am currently in Canada, I cannot see the USF Bulls Bowl game via:

1) ESPN 2 (at home) because we have TSN (The Sports Network) instead of ESPN...even though they borrow shows from the American network. If you're wondering, TSN is currently broadcasting the PGA. Don't even ask me. I'm pretty sure that PGA season has not started yet, but I could be wrong on that point. Hey, it's not curling (figure skating just ended on CBC if you were curious).

2) ESPN 360, which is not available outside of the US

3) Florida radio, because it is not available in Canada. This point strikes me as particularly stupid because I can get Canadian radio in the States with no problem (and in fact, that is how I listen to most of my hockey games).

4) The local sports bar down the street because they don't have ESPN (they do have a subscription to the NHL Network)

5) The big sports bar down the road because currently I am vehicleless and about 5 miles away and it's -17 C out.

6) Yahoo Game Channel because apparently that only works on PCs. Come on!

My solution: Yahoo Box Score, which truly captures the kinetic excitement of football. Taken directly from the feed:

1st-10, Memp43 A. Love rushed to the left for 5 yard gain
2nd-5, Memp38 M. Grothe passed to B. Williams to the right for 12 yard gain
1st-10, Memp26 M. Grothe passed to T. Johnson to the left for 26 yard touchdown

Wasn't that thrilling? Notice that USF did score at the end there. It's entirely possible that you missed it. They could at least put TOUCHDOWN or touchdown! or something.

Here's to hoping that they play a good first half and that I feel it is worthwhile to get to the local sports bar to see the second half.

UPDATE: I just discovered ESPN Gamecast. Much better. And compatible for stupid computers (aka Macs).

No comments: