Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Should I Stay or Should I Go? Free agency for the Red Sox

I'm watching election coverage and thought I would also give readers the option to exercise their points of view on Red Sox free agency for this year. So should they stay or should they go?

Decision 2009:

Jason Varitek
Go: He had a very weak season hitting, could this be a sign that he's done?
Stay: Defensively, he certainly stepped up, particularly during the playoffs. Sometimes in the clutch he can still pull it out. Finally, he's V-Tek. Come on.

My call: I have to go with stay. It's Varitek. Call me sentimental.

Sean Casey
Go/Stay: I'm pretty neutral on this one.

Curt Schilling
Go: Had obligations to get into shape and be back on the team. Also injuries.
Stay: Bloody sock...however, that was four years ago.

My call: It's time. Go.

Bartolo Colon
Go: I thought he already went?

Alex Cora
Stay: Decent batting, not great. Decent fielding.
Go: Screw it! Get Nomar back!

My call: Never quite got over the Nomar thing. Bring him back.

Mark Kotsay
Stay: Depends on what we need to do with the Lowell/Youkilis situation.
Go: He might want to get back to his original role as outfielder.

My call: I want to know what's happening at third base. Then we can take it from there.

[How is a CNN commentator comparing Obama to Reagan?]

Paul Byrd
Stay: If he wants to be a bullpen pitcher that comes in during middle innings, then we could use that.
Go: If he wants to be a starter, it looks like the Sox have already set the rotation, Beckett-dependent.

My call: Do we have a place for him? Does he want to play that position? Also, did he gel with the team in the short time he was there?

Mike Timlin
Stay: No.
Go: Yes please.

My call: Thanks for the memories.

They have exercised the option on Wakefield, so he's a stay...even with those unpredictable games.

As for the Ellsbury/Crisp controversy, you could probably get a good trade for one or the other. Probably an even better trade for Ellsbury. However, it's worth thinking about whether Drew will be back and in good health next year before making any such moves.

No comments: