Thursday, November 13, 2008

I dunno, I don't think I want a teammate saying this about me

From an nfl.com story on the fact that Ty Law is rusty and feels like an old man:

'After seeing what Brett Favre has done with the Jets, Law was convinced he needed to be back on the field.

"He was part of my motivation," Law said. "I use guys like Brett and guys like Bernard Hopkins. I'm sitting there like, 'If these guys can go out there at 43 years old and knock out a 26-year-old guy, and Brett can still sling that thing at 45 or whatever he is -- 50 -- I know I can still go out there and cover somebody.' I always believe in myself, no matter what anybody else believes."'

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that Favre is not pushing 50.

It's a great story really. He states that Mangini had a better idea of where he would play and the he will actually get the chance to play with the Jets, which was not clear with the Patriots (how many years did he play with them again? Surely he knows how the system works, it's not any one player). Additionally, he states that while he feels rusty and old, he is confident that he will be back in form relatively soon. Apparently, he was offered more from the Patriots and turned them down because he felt he would fit into Mangini's system better.

Dude, it's November. You're rusty, you have not played with the team, you're just now learning the team defense. And it's Mangini, famous for over-complicating the team defense?

Now I don't want him to crash and burn because I am not that kind of person (with the notable exception of one Colts kicker). In this case, though, I'm not sure why any of this information needed to be shared with the press except maybe to say, 'I'm thrilled to be back in uniform and Coach called me spry.'

No comments: