Wednesday, November 5, 2008

More Pats vs. Colts aftermath

I was just perusing the Patriot forums at Football's Future and ran across an interesting thread entitled, 'Mr. Kraft, Please Fire Josh McDaniels.' While I don't know that I am in the 'fire him' boat, I have had a few complaints and the Indy game didn't fix it. Most of the game was called very well. However, we choked in the clutch. Sound familiar? Same kind of thing happened in Superbowl last year, when I wasn't all that impressed with McDaniels' play calling either.

So here are the main issues I have with his play calling:

1) Getting too fancy. Why did we snap the ball to Faulk twice last game? It got us nowhere. Sure, sometimes some of his show-off plays pay off (remember that Brady - Moss - Brady - Stallworth in the end zone one last year against Pittsburgh? Because that was freaking cool). But more often than not, they seem flashy for no reason at all.

2) The quick throw across. Other teams figured this one out ca. 2004, back when Brady introduced it. We need to do less of it.

3) What on earth was that last play of last week's game to Faulk? Anyone? Anyone? 4th and long and you have him run for it? Why not try it downfield again because all we needed was one score to win the game! The worst thing that happens is another interception and we lose anyway!

I like that he has clearly imbibed the Kool-Aid and wears the hoodie, though...only a slightly classier version of it. Louise, who I guess is now best described as my dad's fiancée, has nicknamed him Baby Belichick.

No comments: