Wednesday, September 16, 2009

That's some good coaching there, Bucs

I'm not seeing great things for the Bucs this year. The coach, Raheem Morris, informed his second QB that is he a 'career back-up.' 'Way to foster that young man's hopes:

""I've talked about him being my Jason Garrett, that career backup," Morris said after Sunday's game. "You might as well force him into his role right now. We've talked about Freeman being the franchise around here. That's going to happen in time. That will happen when it happens.

"You talk about preparing a guy you think can be your career backup, you think he can be long-term backup, you hope you can sign him in free agency when that stuff comes up. You want to put him in his role right now.""


What's even sadder is that the young man in question, Josh Johnston, initially thought reporters were kidding when they told him what his coach said:

"When Johnson, Tampa Bay's fifth-round pick in 2008, was asked about Morris' desire for him to be a career backup, he exploded into laughter, mostly because it was the first time he heard it. Once Johnson realized the reporter's question was serious, he took the high road.

"I have no reaction to it. I don't know," Johnson said. "I really can't speak for the future. I can only worry about right now, and as of right now, I am the backup to Byron (Leftwich) and helping Josh, who is being groomed to do what he's going to do in the future. I don't even worry about it.

"If Coach says that, that's fine. We'll see what happens down the road, but as of right now, I am a backup for this team and that's my job.""


Hey kid, you were taken in the fifth round. That's one ahead of Tom Brady. So just think about your potential compared to his and don't listen to Morris!

PS - Bets are now on...when does Morris get fired? I mean, if they got rid of Gruden just because of the meltdown at the end of last season, I don't see good things here. Incidentally, Tampa Bay was another team that recently fired its offensive coordinator. Those are some good managerial skills I'm seeing too.

PPS - Looks like the Bucs QB problems are destined to continue with this kind of attitude.

No comments: