Monday, January 12, 2009

Tony Dungy Retires

Finally, he actually did it. Each post-season for the past few years has featured Dungy debating whether to retire, then changing his mind. This year, he decided the time has come. While I don't wish him ill or anything, I'd have to say that the time came a while ago. He did coach the team through the Superbowl once, but only once. Considering that the Colts have put up some serious numbers during the regular season then consequently folded almost every year, I would say with change in the air and all, it's time for some change.

Now for those of you on the Tony Dungy bandwagon who want to cite the 2006 Superbowl as evidence against what I just claimed, think hard about that. The Colts were almost knocked off by the Ravens in the second game with their offense completely stuttering. In fact, if Vinatieri had not saved their butts, that game would have gone to the Ravens -- the Colts did not score a single touchdown. And I mean, the Colts are not exactly renowned for their defense, so I still say they were lucky to make it through that one. Not to mention that had Reche Caldwell just caught that freaking ball in the AFC Championship, we wouldn't even be having this conversation (however, we also probably wouldn't have Wes Welker and Randy Moss, so who am I to complain?).

No comments: