Thursday, April 8, 2010

The annual switch from Football Mode to Baseball Mode

I shall not panic until the Red Sox until early June. In any capacity whatsoever. Here is my logic:

1) In football, you really shouldn't start panicking until around 3-4 games in. Since there are 16 games in the season, that means 25%.

2) In baseball, were one to panic 3 games in, there would still be about 98% of the season remaining. So employing football panic logic, there is no need until around a quarter of the season has transpired, which would put you 40 or so games in. I've just estimated that this would be mid-May, so panic need not ensue until that time. And even then, there is an awfully long time to correct mistakes, unlike in football.

That being said, it's a bit hard sometimes to switch modes, particularly after losing 2 out of 3 to the Evil Empire. I could say that I want Papi to get it together. I could be unimpressed with our bullpen and name names (Okajima/Delcarmen/Ramirez). But it's too early for all of that.

(Right?)

I do have to say, it's hard to switch modes. We were wicked awful at the beginning of last season though, and we got it together in the end.

No comments: