Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Boston blog: Red Sox need to pull a Patriots D

The word right now in Boston (at least one version of it) is that massive change needs to happen for the team to stay competitive.

I think that this assessment is valid and that there do need to be some changes. While I don't want to point fingers at Francona, it is tempting because I felt like he had the wrong attitude into September. Things got very sloppy and that was exactly what I saw from most players in the series against the Angels. But then again, there was a real problem in production. So let's think that over...if I were Theo Epstein:

Staying: Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, Martinez, Gonzalez (you can unload a few of the other 82 shortstops we have in my opinion, Gonzalez stepped in and did a great job). I think we still have Drew too.

Go: Varitek (sniff), Bay looks like he will be gone, is Lowell done with his contract this year?

Can Varitek shift to coaching in some capacity?

Pitching: keep Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, Dice-K. Wakefield, although he had a great season and has contributed immensely, is not a reliable option considering his age. I would rather have him as the Red Sox equivalent of Junior Seau: someone who can come in later if we need him. Look for another starter just in case. Also, we do have Tazawa.

Bullpen: this gets tricky. I would keep Papelbon, I'm still not convinced Bard has it to be the closer (give it a season or two). Re-evaluate some of the middle relievers. Figure out what happened to Delcarmen and if that can be corrected. I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of them right now. Billy Wagner is probably done.

[Speaking of Junior Seau, apparently he is coming back with the Patriots. Already!]

No comments: